• When children turn 14 years of age, the IEP team will begin discussion of transition services for life after high school. Below you will find information from the Pennsylvania Department of Education to assist you and your child as you determine appropriate transition services.

     Dear Student and Parent/Guardian,

    Your transition from school to adult life is an important series of steps. To help you map out this process, the Bureau of Special Education has developed a website for you, your family and school. The name of the website is "Pennsylvania Secondary Transition Guide." The address for the website is www.secondarytransition.org
    The website is organized by topics. The topics cover key areas of your secondary transition, including post-secondary education and training, employment and community living. Some of the information on the website suggests important subjects and activities for you to think about, based on your age. The website also has links to other Pennsylvania agencies and departments that can help support your transition. You can access the website any time and look for information when it's important to you. If you cannot access the website, you can request a CD or printed copy of the website's core documents, available in English or Spanish, by contacting your school or by calling the Pennsylvania Training and Technical Assistance Network (PaTTAN) at 800-446-5607.
    Please know that specific questions about your transition from school to adult life can be addressed by your school's Transition Coordinator or Director of Special Education.
    In Grove City please contact, Jennifer Connelly, Director of Pupil Services, 724-458-6733 X 2140.

    Secondary Transition Information: Community Agency Contacts and Service. To contact any of the departments or offices below via TTY, call 800-654-5984

    Pennsylvania Department of Labor & Industry, Office of Vocational Rehabilitation (OVR), 800-442-6351, (TTY, 866-830-7327) The mission of the OVR is to assist Pennsylvanians with disabilities to obtain or keep a job. OVR is an eligibility-based program. VR services are provided by vocational rehabilitation counselors located in 21 local district offices across the state. Visit OVR at http://www.dli.pa.gov/Individuals/Disability-Services/ovr/Pages/default.aspx
    Pennsylvania Department of Labor & Industry, Bureau of Workforce Development Partnership, 717-787-5279. The Bureau oversees the coordination of employment and training services for the Commonwealth under the Workforce Investment Act of 1998. Services are provided to adults and youth through 23 Local Workforce Investment Areas comprised of 80 CareerLink Centers located throughout the state. Visit CareerLink at www.pacareerlink.state.pa.us
    Pennsylvania Department of Human Services  Providing services — including medical assistance, SNAP, TANF, child care, child welfare, and more — that improve the quality of life for Pennsylvanians.  Visit the Department of Human Services at www.dhs.pa.gov/
    Pennsylvania Department of Health, Bureau of Family Health, 717-346-3000
    The Bureau facilitates access to health and rehabilitative services for eligible children. For a list of services and eligibility requirements visit www.health.state.pa.us. In addition, the Special Kids network, System of Care Program, 877-986-4550, can assist communities in creating and improving services for children and youth with special health care needs. Information and referral services for individuals with special health care needs are provided through the Health and Human Services Call Center, www.helpinpa.state.pa.us
    Pennsylvania Department of Health, Bureau of Drug and Alcohol Programs (BDAP),
    717-346-3000. The Department of Health provides licensed drug and alcohol services for adolescents. Service delivery is based on the intervention need of the individual. Information on accessing services is available through each Single County Authority (SCA) or the county Drug & Alcohol Office. Visit BDAP's website at www.health.state.pa.us/bdap
    Pennsylvania Juvenille Court Judges' Commission (JCJC), 717-787-6910. The Commission is responsible for advising juvenile courts concerning the proper care and maintenance of deliquent children; establishing standards governing administrative practices and judicial procedures used in juvenile courts; establishing personnel practices and employment standards for probation offices; collecting, compiling, and publishing juvenile court statistics; and administering a Grant-in-Aid Program to improve county juvenile probation services. Visit the JCJC wesite at www.jcjc.state.pa.us
    Social Security Administration (SSA) 800-772-1213. SSA facilitates the payment of social security benefits to eligible individuals with disabilities. there are two major categories: (1) Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) for eligible individuals who meet insured status by nature of disability including medical requirements and adult children with disabilities; and (2) Supplemental Security Income (SSI) for eligible children and adults that meet specific medical and income criteria. Visit the SSA website at www.ssa.gov.